ext Alessandro Ikeuchi wrote:

> Ok, Maemo docs sucks, the SDK sucks and the Hildon stuff looks like a
> colony of ants...
> I bought Nokia 770 because I believe OPEN SOURCE, so, Nokia is using
> it, isn´t? Where are the sources? The lack of docs could be covered by
> releasing the sources...

First I need to point out, I dont like the tone of this message as has
been already pointed out in responses to this thread. As for the
sources, from a legal stand point all required source is available
through the maemo repository.

http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo2.0rc22/free/source/

Beside that if you check the "About Product" tab in ControlPanel->Device
you will find out how you can request source code (which nokia is
legally bound to provide) CD from Nokia

> I just wanted to build my own text editor with dead keys support for
> my bluetooth keyboard, but even the Maemopad example doesn't work
> properly (try to change font color).

I would appreciate if you could attach a log or some more information or
file a bug in
https://maemo.org/bugzilla

Usually we do run some round of test to atleast the example codes
refered to in the tutorial.

> Unicode only works for the xterm, and worst, Notes does dead keys for
> screen keyboard, so, why is so hard to adapt Maemopad for dead keys?
> (by the way, I made a working version of Maemopad with GTK for my
> Linux x86 box that works as planned, so I am sure that's not me...)

I think more of your agression is directed towards maemopad and your
inability to modify and achieve your objectives. If that is the case,
then I am quite sure the community would be happy to help you out, if
you would be a bit more constructive, rather than a "shot everything
down" kind of attitude.

> "Nokia 770 is Debian based, Alessandro, should be great!"... It´s a
> piece of crap, I never used because I can´t find or port applications
> of my interest... There´s no surprise that "REAL AND USEFUL
> APPLICATIONS" never appears at maemo repository (with some exceptions)

Well  i think that is your perception (and in that you in your own right
maybe justified). I myself love various adventure games not available
for the device either, so I guess I would be justified in my own right
to "shoot everything down too"

> MY SUGGESTION FOR THE NEXT RELEASE OF shitOS 2007:  Forget about
> Hildon, forget desktop, give me a console based OS with Lynx, vim,
> python (python for OS 2006 appears in Maemo 2.0 repository, forget it,
> there´s no Python version for OS 2006, even the list isn´t properly
> updated) and UNICODE support, would be great if CURSES is available
> too, or better, with a good framebuffer driver. It would spare Nokia

Nokia 770 OS 2006 introduces the debian package management, so if thats
the way you want to go, I will certainly not come in your way. You could
have asked the community to tell you a way to achieve that. I am quite
sure, you can gain root and  open your favourite xterm and just apt-get
remove packages you dont like. You are free to do all experimentation
you like at your own risk. Please do post the findings of your results
on the mailing list, I of one would be quite interested to know the result.

There are also other tools and documentation available on maemo which
talks about customizing and building your own rootfs and kernel etc.

> budget and make the plataform usefull and with lots of space...
> Besides, with a real open source OS and simple developing tools I
> would try QTopia. The exceptions mentioned above are CONSOLE and X11
> programs, as python, smallbasic, octave, gnuplot... If you are a Hildon

I think there has been many flame wars about QT/GTK+, so I would not
comment anymore. Maemo and Nokia 770(OS2006) is a GTK+ based device and
application development environment. Either you accept that or not thats
your choice. By all means experiment with different toolkits and
technologies, and if they are done in constructive manner, I am quite
sure, you would still find this developer list quite willing to listen
and help.

> developer/mantainer pay attention: the best released applications are
> Console based! With no fear, Hildon sucks and it's the weakspot of
> Nokia 770...

There are very good reasons for us to extend and customize GTK+ which
together with desktop components and services we call hildon. We are as
a goal trying to push changes to mainstream (some will be accepted, some
wont) but you can follow the status on

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/MaemoGtk26Contributions

> Someone just confirm that I can´t get Notes sources and I'll sell my
> useless Nokia 770 and buy Samsung Q1 (try this one if you don´t have
> Nokia, believe me, the lower price of Nokia doesn't beat the ease of
> development of a Win32 x86 platform, forget the "linux, open source
> and free for all stuff", Nokia 770 is not that). And yes, I am pissed
> off... I really bought Nokia 770 for my personal business purpose,
> confident about the "debia
>
> based" OS... Hacks are good when works and when you have control
> (sources), otherwise it's non sense time spending... (try to discover
> why GTK API works in your Linux x86 and doesn't in OS2006 is a good
> mental exercise if you have 18 hours free per day, because nobody
> knows and you will never see the platform sources).

about the sources I have already responded above. About your
frustrations about problems, its very difficult to infer anything useful
to figure out what the problem is. So I would leave it at just your ranting.

> My opinion is clear: Nokia 770 won´t prevail with these development
> policies. I won´t use it and I don´t recommend as plataform for
> anyone, it's just a annoying gadget, do yourself a favor and buy a PSP
> instead (at least runs win95 with bochs and have nice 3d games).

I have to say, as been often told on this list, we are learning and
trying to improve. If only I get constructive comments. Other wise its
just waste of time.  I agree a lot needs to be improved in terms of
documentation, in terms of more visibility (especially proper handling
of bugzilla) and trust me (if you can) we are trying to do so. Sardine
does solve some issues in terms of quickes bugfix availability and
visibility (though its still far from kind of aka debian unstable)

http://repository.maemo.org/sardine/

In general I am happy to learn from your frustrations to improve maemo
and maemo development experience.
Devesh

-