On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 13:31 +0300, ext Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Is GTK from Maemo expected to compile (for the host itself) on
> desktop Linux or Mac OS X? What about Hildon?

Currently maemo gtk+ requires one feature from glib, namely caching of
gtkrc as bytecode-ish format. (It's in glib/gscanner.[ch], look for
cache.)

hildon-libs and hildon-fm require multiple extra symbols exported from
modified gtk+ (most of them should have other than gtk_ prefix, but not
all.)

It is on my todo list to improve our documentation about the
dependencies and changes to widgets. One of the longer term goals is to
be able to build Hildon widgets on top of stock gtk+. I do not yet have
a schedule planned, though.

> How much work would be required for making Python development
> possible on any *nix style platform with an X server by compiling GTK
> and Hildon and their Python wrappers for the hosting architecture and
> installing them in a non-conventional directory prefix to prevent
> conflicts with the usual GTK installation?

That would be an interesting exercise. I believe Murray Cumming has been
doing something close to this with jhbuild, but I haven't checked which
packages are included in the module sets. But if python bindings are
included, it should be as simple as 'jhbuild build python-hildon' if
memory serves.

--
Tommi Komulainen                            <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>