I think that using tar to back up and restore applications installed
with apt/dpkg would be a Bad Idea.

Can I ask why? I have not enough Linux knowledge to answer this (stupid?) question myself. In a Windows environment, I can backup/restore everything just with rar/unrar, having care to install just portable or almost portable applications; this care is due to the presence of the Windows' registry. Is there an analogue problem in the Linux architecture, or in the 770 implementation? I've also tarred all my linux installation (excluding some stuff) hoping it could be used as a backup [1], has it been a Bad Idea?

It should be pretty easy to get a list of installed packages from apt
(or the application installer) before the flash, and then reinstall them
in one swoop with apt-get install.  I plan to figure this out over the
weekend.

Le me know on the list if you succeed, please.

By the way, can someone confirm or deny that the backup tool does not
back up your /etc/apt/sources.list and therefore you will have to re-add
all the application manager repositories manually?

It seems confirmed. As already requested, a list of the files and dirs that should be backed up and restored would be great (including files and dirs where installed applications use to or can store their executables, libraries, settings, etc.); it will include the /etc/apt/sources.list I suppose...

[1] http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=81311

--
Antonio