On Jan 13, 2007, at 2:18 PM, Neil MacLeod wrote:
Is it possible to get an updated position on Bluetooth Headset support on both 770 and N800? It's crazy that after all this time with VoIP support that these devices still don't have Bluetooth Headset and A2DP support. The 770 and N800 are crying out for BT headset support! :)

I'm pretty sure that you could write an A2DP music player that worked on the 770 without any help from Nokia. It wouldn't be nicely integrated, but it should work. I tested an app awhile ago, and got music coming out of my headset, it was just not real time - a second of music, 5 seconds silence, etc.

The reason for this is that it needed to transcode the music into a different CODEC, for which there was no integer version available. If you were to, say, just store all your music in that format, transcoding as you uploaded to the 770, then no problem.

Headset / handfree support requires SCO sockets, which are a deeper, driver level thing. Many Bluetooth chipsets handle SCO connections in "special" ways - they do things like feed the audio out a separate interface so you can hook up a microphone and speaker directly, rather than pushing the audio through the CPU.

Thus, there's often more config and poking needed to get the chipset into the right mode.

Does anybody know if the N800 uses the same Bluetooth chipset as the 770?

Thanks,

gopi.