and here we are again.

Why is the virtual keybord restricted to GTK applications? Is a simply
interface which would require some addotion of toolkits really so hard
to create?
*PLEASE* create an cross-toolkit API for non-gtk apps - which works
clean and without hacks. There is real demand for it, really.

lg Clemens

2007/1/26, Tapani Pälli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
ext [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> On 1/25/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>  * easy to make basic GUI for game setup (input methods do
>>>
>> not work in
>>
>>> SDL)
>>>
>> Hello
>>
>> I guess anybody how is porting a SDL game will run into the
>> keyboard issue problem.
>> It would be nice if we can port existing SDL games but that
>> really means that we need a cute keyboard input hack. I have
>> been asking around but did not find a simple pluggable virtual
>> keyboard for sdl.
>> perhaps pointer to such resources would help. but otherwise I
>> think some effort must be put into that.
>>
>> greetings
>>

> Hi,
>
> This has been studied briefly, and since SDL games are a very colorful
> bunch we felt that a solution to suit "SDL games" is a very illusive
> target, we would not get a solution that suits all and it would be a
> hack complicating things evern futher.
>
> The startup screen has been seen as a significantly more elegant way of
> dealing with most of the cases and so far it has proven right (how many
> games require text entry during the gameplay?).

One solution for this would be to provide a nice and minimal keyboard
class which would return inputted text just as a string and not really
emit keyevents. The API for keyboard should be minimalistic so that
porting textentries needed for ip-address, highscrore etc. would be
easy. Now just someone has to write this ... this would portable for
other platforms aswell.

> Br,
>
> --jakub

// Tapani