On 2/13/07, Detlef Schmicker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am quite interested in a big armel archive. I did a test setup with
Xvnc and vncviewer (both running on the N800), which allows to run
crosscompiled, but not ported debian applications, even if they are
graphic applications and need a keyboard.

That's the idea behind MUD-Builder:

   http://mud-builder.garage.maemo.org/

If we could set up an automatic maemo (from unchanged debian source)
armel repository, this would be realy great, as it would bring thousends
of applications onto N800 (Possibly N770 is to restricted with the
amound of RAM, and I did not try Xvnc on maemo 2.1).

Unfortunately, as you found with dependencies, it doesn't make sense
to recompile the whole of Debian - that'd include the base packages
like libc6, the kernel, X etc. which you still want from Maemo.

You've also got to start patching debian/control so that the build
dependencies match what you've got available in Maemo. The end result
is that it needs some careful thought and consideration, rather than
just building all of Debian.

Which is what we created MUD for :-)

Let me know if you've got any questions.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://www.bleb.org/