Hi,

ext Kalle Vahlman wrote:
I haven't confirmed this, but according to the (non-exhaustive)
benchmarking currently it probably should be faster to work with image
surface in Cairo and only push the result to X, since it is
accelerated in neither.

It might not be faster[1], but at least rest of the system (using X
server) remains more responsive while a single client uses CPU instead
of server used by all the applications being busy.

This is of course assuming that Cairo's
software implementation is faster to do it, which I don't know. What I
*do* know is that Cairo's image backend gets a nice boost from using
VFP so at least in that case it should beat Xlib surface hands down
(which didn't benefit from VFP that much).

        - Eero

[1] There's a bug in Cairo bugzilla about slowness on 16-bit display
    when using Render though...