I don't think that Samba the server would be a great idea in the Maemo environment. It introduces a security risk when the device is roaming - you would be sharing your files with whoever happened to be in the cybercafe/truck stop/library/* when you connected.

Also, since Samba is just a user-space app, there is little reason a user who wants to add it cannot do so.

However, I *would* like to see the CIFS/SMB file system modules be a standard part of the released kernels, and would like to suggest that support for finding servers on the local network be added to the file manager, just as Bluetooth and UPnP shared media is now (in the N800 release, anyway). Let's face it - most N800 owners will have Windows PCs: if the N800 can find those machines and access shared media on them it would go a long way to making the Maemo platform much more useful for many people.

Of course, I'd also like to see NFS and Novell-over-IP clients in the kernel, and support for discovery of them added as well, as that would really Maemo shine in a corporate environment (along with a mail client THAT SUPPORTS IMAP SUBFOLDERS AND LDAP!, but that's off-topic.)