František Dufka wrote:
Mystery solved. There is clear bug in the script. While the comment above dd
talks about reading it writes to /dev/ttyS0 creating 1 byte regular file in
/dev.

        #test if we can read ttyS0, we have serial console
        if dd of=/dev/ttyS0 count=1 bs=1 if=/dev/zero ; then

So everybody should have getty running in latest FW.
Or did I change the script while sleeping?

This script is unmodified from older releases. What has changed is that kernel has been fixed not to create ttyS0 if serial port is not enabled. The check should now be

if [ -c /dev/ttyS0 ] ; then

to have the intended effect.