Eero Tamminen wrote:

That shouldn't happen.

Happened to me with N770 and IT2006. Just one solid hangup while web browsing, watchdog reboot and I had infinite reboot loop.

Also I have lost some gconf preferences more times when device rebooted randomly. Missing preference may cause crash for some system application that expects some setting to be always present.

JFFS2 keeps the internal filesystem in
consistent state although the filesystem hadn't be properly
unmounted (unlike the VFAT on MMC cards).

Yes that is not a problem.

Some individual files
could get only partially written, but all applications should
be doing such writes safely (write to temp file and rename once
writing is finished).

This is the problem. It is not common at all to write to files in such way. In case you want to apppend some data to existing file it is not optimal to create new temporary file, copy all data and add few bytes. You seriously can't expect people writing code in such way.

I still think this watchdog thing is another legacy we have from Nokia as a phone company. It makes perfect sense for dumb phone. It makes less sense for computer. Yes when device locks up you need a way to reset it. That is why you have reset button on computer and also reset hole on every PDA. I know it is internet tablet not computer or PDA but also Nokia should know that *this is not a phone* ;-)

With reset hole one can reset device when (s)he wants. Watchdog may not make things worse when device locks up solid (i.e. kernel bug or feature) but rebooting device when some process dies of when things take too long can make more damage than benefit. I know this is hard to detect so my solution is to provide reset hole and do not try to guess. User probably can notice this situation and act accordingly.

Frantisek