On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 12:36 +0300, ext Kimmo Hämäläinen wrote:
> > The sensible solution is to pull the desktop down and restart it along
> > with the X server, instead of panicking and rebooting the device.
> > Unfortunately, our init system (osso-af-init) is so horribly designed
> > that it's almost impossible to do[0] without just blowing away our init
> > system and starting again _from scratch_.  Which is arguably what we
> > should do, anyway.
>
> The desktop (Home) is nowadays restartable, so we would still need to
> restart other X clients. It should be possible to move X clients'
> startup scripts from /etc/osso-af-init to some other directory where
> they could be run again to restart the stuff in case the X server
> crashed. (At least clipboard, sapwood, matchbox, osso-connectivity-ui,
> and hildon-input-methods.)
>
> I don't see any big remaining problem here...

Hey, now I remember what was the issue here! The problem was that if we
restart stuff for crashed X server, then we cannot use dsmetool anymore
to e.g. restart sapwood if it crashed (which is what happens now). So,
we would need to lose these individual restarting magic (for clipboard,
sapwood, matchbox, osso-connectivity-ui, hildon-input-methods, and
hildon-desktop) in favor of the X server. That is, if you want to
restart these processes after the X server crashed, it's possible, but
then we would never know if clipboard, sapwood, matchbox, osso-
connectivity-ui, HIM, or hildon-desktop crashed. The solution could be
extending DSME's magical capabilities to support "groups" of processes
that would all be restarted if something happens (X server crashes).

BR; Kimmo