Carlos Guerreiro wrote:

>> We will keep working on the IT OS 2007 Hacker edition for the 770. We
>> will go through IT OS 2006 bugs submitted in maemo’s Bugzilla, trying to
>> solve at least the most relevant and the ones already fixed in the
>> official IT OS 2007. We will release the fixes in updated images, all of
>> them unofficial and to be used at your own risk. We can’t make any
>> promise on performance levels or specific bug fixes, but hopefully you
>> will be happier than now with the results.
>>
> Hi,
>
> Time to get back to work on this.
>
> Work on the OS 2007 / 770 hacker edition happens in the OS2007on770
> Garage project [1]

Hi Carlos,

is there any progress? Where should we discuss issues/suggestions
related to this?

I have one question/suggestion. Since the hacker edition is unsupported
can we as a community push some changes to hacker edition firmware
hosted on maemo site (i.e. kernel,initfs,rootfs)? I know this is not
possible for supported releases for many reasons but hacker edition is
different so maybe some tweaks can be applied and we could affect what
is there by default? Maybe there are some useful tweaks that are
cumbersome to install for some less advanced users but good enough to be
in the firmware by default.

As for kernel few examples are

- proper YUV420 support in framebuffer update ioctl, stock N770 kernel
has this broken, fix is easy, would be useful for mplayer
- HW rotation support in framebuffer update ioctl
- maybe some things taken from newer N800 kernel, tearsync support would
be nice as one example but this is currently not working for me, sadly I
got no reply to
http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2007-May/010156.html

As for initfs maybe bootmenu could be useful. As for rootfs maybe we
could add some packages by default (like ogg support etc) or in future
tweak some packages (SDL, X server).

So what is the idea, is Hacker Edition made exclusively by Nokia
(perhaps blessed by its lawyers or something) or can this be community
thing so such tweaks are possible?

Also I'd like to know where are you heading with next OS2007 HE release.
Do you plan to switch to newer kernel or stick with old 2.6.16 and
initfs? Would be nice to know if backporting things to 2.6.16 is waste
of time or not.

Frantisek