On 7/11/07, David Weinehall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On ons, 2007-07-11 at 13:28 +0100, ext Andrew Flegg wrote:
> >
> > This being reraised made me think about why, the other day, I *did*
> > want user suspend. Sometimes I just want a quick way to:
> >
> >   * Shut off all network connections.
> >   * Stop any noise (except configured alarms)
> >   * Have the screen locked
> >   * Not have to save my position
> >   * Be able to resume quickly
> >
> > This isn't "suspend" in a power sense, but in a use-case sense the
> > purpose is clear.
>
> So what you want is basically the "Soft Poweroff" option that's
> available [...] but with some minor tweaks?

Yes, exactly :-)

> I guess that can be arranged =)

Cool. Is it anything I could do straight off (I can also imagine a
control panel applet to allow users to customise[1] this "suspended"
state as Igor describes), or does it still dependent on some
relatively closed/unhookable infrastructure?

Cheers,

Andrew

[1] Sound on/off, network on/off being the obvious ones

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://www.bleb.org/