On Wednesday 11 July 2007, Igor Stoppa wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 16:26 +0300, ext David Weinehall wrote:
> > On ons, 2007-07-11 at 15:16 +0200, ext Visti Andresen wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > I could suggest using a "double click" on the power button
> > >
> > > First click opens the "Device mode" dialogue.
> > > Second click "suspends" the device.
> >
> > The idea is great, IMHO, but I doubt that Nokia's UI-team would agree;
> > on a Nokia phone, pressing the power button when the device menu is open
> > acts as cursor down.  On our device it just ignores the press
> > completely, which was an acceptable behaviour too.  Adding a totally
> > different behaviour would probably be regarded as too complicated for
> > the user, or something =)
>
> We are doing open software, right? So let's provide a good mechanism
> that supports more advanced interactions and even if we have to
> officially ship with a lame set of choices for the average user, others
> can implement more advanced features.
>
> >From the discussion so far, I'm getting the impression that what people
>
> are actually asking for is a way to create very customised extra
> profiles.
>
> Example:
>
> Create Night mode and associate it with the shortcut (double press on
> the power button):
> -disable chat/presence
> -leave only VOIP with a subset of users actually able to generate rings
> -kill all the led signalling
> -....
>
> All these actions should be (are they already?) commands to be sent to
> the interested application/daemon through DBUS, so a simple script,
> paired with a command line dbus interface would be sufficient.
So I have another request, Can we possibly have different profiles for
battery/powered? I think it is really important to be able to say if I am
plugged in do not go offline because I want to get my VOIP calls, but if I am
on battery do something more miserly. Again, we have the profiles already, I
would just like to be able to use different profies for different power
conditions.

Thanks
Brian