Ah, looks like I spoke too soon.

My original branching code seems to have been misguided, hence the segfaults.

New improved code here:
http://people.bath.ac.uk/enpsgp/nokia770/jazelle/jazelle5.c

Now, when I call bxj r12, with r12 pointing to the handler code and r14
pointing to the Java code (or anything for that matter), I get a jump
to the handler code at r12. Not sure whether this is actually a good
thing, as I get a jump to the code in r12 no matter whether I have an
unhandleable Java bytecode or what I understand are valid bytecodes
(from Sebastian Mancke's presentation) at the address pointed to by
r14. I'm not sure this should happen. It almost appears that the bxj
instruction is acting as a simple branch instruction.

Example output:

Nokia-N800-26:/home/user# ./test_jazelle5.bin
Start
R14 is 67192
R12 is 33752
R6 is -1090742540
R4 is 0
End

If I try running bxj r14 instead, I get a segfault.

Not quite giving up the thread of hope, it may be that the Java
hardware needs to be enabled by one of the flags in CPSR (though this
is requires privileges, so hopefully not) or what's called CP14 in fig1
of the patent. Now I'm not sure if this agrees with what Sebastian
found, as my impression was that no flag tweaking was required to make
something happen for his test case?

It's too late in the evening to go looking for info about CP14 now,
perhaps over the weekend.

Cheers,

Simon