>> So I went ahead and ported mpd and mpg321 to maemo. In
>> case anyone else wants these packages as I couldn't find them
>> already out there: http://austin.mit.edu/maemo
>
> chage: can't open shadow password fileStopped: `/usr/bin/chage -M 99999 mpd'
> returned error code 1. Exiting.

    I don't know where that is coming from as I don't think any of the
    mpd scripts calls chage. It does use adduser so that should be
    added to the dependency list.

> I tried creating the mpd user by running adduser manually, but then I get
> segmentation fault whenever I run mpd.

    Creating the mpd user manually should let you run it. I would edit
    /etc/mpd.conf and uncomment the libao section. I was getting
    segfaults with alsa output while ao output worked fine.