On 9/14/07, Daniel Stone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
> DSME doesn't do anything complex, really.  Looking at the API, it's
> trivial to reimplement, but as far as I can tell, no-one's ever started.
> Of course, it should be open, but the fact that no-one's even tried
> probably says something about how desirable/essential it is to current
> community efforts, to be honest.

It's true, and there are quite a few possible reasons for that.

It's possible everyone is happy with the way Nokia is supporting the 770.

It's possible that people who aren't happy, but aren't getting paid to
work on the IT OS for 770 are worried that they will start, run into
obstacles and a lack of information and have wasted their time -- DMSE
is just one of several components that need to be replaced in order to
have a completely-open 770, right?

At any rate, your larger point is correct: it's not clear -- to me, at
least -- that there is any kind of community of 770 users who care
enough to gel arround such an effort and make decisions about things
like goals, compatability etc. So, if the issue is all about my own
dissatisfaction, being cranky on the mailing list and letting my 770
collect dust in my office in the attic is a perfectly acceptable
solution.

Dave