On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 12:19:15PM -0400, ext Dave Neuer wrote:
> It's possible that people who aren't happy, but aren't getting paid to
> work on the IT OS for 770 are worried that they will start, run into
> obstacles and a lack of information and have wasted their time -- DMSE
> is just one of several components that need to be replaced in order to
> have a completely-open 770, right?

There's no real such thing as a waste of time in this regard.  If you
don't manage to completely replace the entire thing, you still have
something, you may have still learned something, and you may have helped
convince people that there are people who actually want to work on DSME
(and thus, from a business point of view, a benefit to open-sourcing
it).

As I said before, DSME isn't even terribly difficult to
reverse-engineer.  I'm saying this as someone who's read the DSME code,
and also the DSME API.

The closed components I can think of (barring anything high up in
userspace: browser, email, UI, whatever) are nolo, DSME, and BME.  BME
could be done, though you want to watch your battery for signs of
puffiness.  nolo is very difficult, though it's entirely predictable, so
while it could be done, it'd be extremely tough.  DSME is trivial.

Cheers,
Daniel