Hello,

Tomi Ollila wrote:
> On Wed 28 Nov 2007 00:21, Aleksandr Koltsoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> The lo interface is UP and running.
>
> You're right! By a coincidence I have both 770 and 800 on my desk now,
> neither running the latest OS version and both, indeed, have localhost
> interface up like the above (/sbin/ifconfig gives same output)
>
> So I remember incorrectly -- the real reason is (probably) that when
> socket(2) system call is started, these Internet Tablets tries to make
> internet connection up (either via wlan, or bt-connected phone....)
> and if that cannot be made, socket(2) fails.
> There is no way knowing at socket(2) time that user wants to connect(2)
> 127.0/8 addresses. There is probably good reason to wrap socket() instead
> of connect(), bind() (and some other system calls.. timeouts maybe...).
>
> Well, I'm (quickly) writing this without checking earlier discussion
> of the matter. The situation is probably well-explained there (?).

Ah yes, this does indeed sound slightly familiar back from the 1.0 days.
Maybe a proper testing program is in order then. I might take a look at
this later if I have spare time. If the syscall is wrapped, then yes, it
 would make things slightly difficult, but I'm wondering whether there's
a simple way to avoid that even in that case.

ak.