On Nov 26, 2007 4:43 PM, Austin Che <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I've decided that I'd really like to separate the frontend code from the
> > backend code so we can have multiple frontends (pygame, gtk, etk, cli,
> WWW,
> > etc).
> >
> > This would mean that the Kagu backend process would be a daemon (aka a
> > service, depending on your education environment).
> > And the frontends would communicate with the backend process somehow. I
> see
> > a few possibilities here:
> >
> > 1.) Rpc (aka web services)
> > 2.) Dbus
> > 3.) Direct SQLite DB interaction
>
>    I think this is a great idea. I personally use mpd just for this
>    reason. In fact, why not just use the mpd protocol over net
>    sockets? You'd immediately get a ridiculously large number of
>    front-end clients and it would work over the net:
>    http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Clients

Reading initial post this was my first thought. And not only there already
is such an application (mpd) but a client for is has been ported to maemo (
http://mmpc.garage.maemo.org/) and it's excelent. I use it every day to
control music on my media server.

So why not just port mpd server component to maemo and be done with it?

There are 5 (five!) web based mpd clients listed on their site and 13 other
ones.

In addition meamo is already at, what, 4 - 5 media players? There is so much
stuff out there talented developer like yourself can focus on...