Thomas D. Waelti wrote :
>> However, I have been unable to adapt the mClock example for the
>> service file successfully. As soon as I reference the X-Osso-
>> Service value in the desktop file, I get a lengthy "Loading..."
>> banner and nothing else, even though I call osso.Context() early in
>> my code. I must be missing something still...
>
> Does the service really load your app?
> Try to launch the application manually from xterm using the same command that
> you wrote into the service file.
> Does it come up then?

Yes, it's exactly the same line as in the .desktop file, and it does
load the app by itself.

This is all very frustrating. I think it's bad for the app portfolio of
the tablet, and its users in general, when amateur programmers like me
have to spend hours after their program is finished, just to understand
how to put its icon in a menu and actually get it launched from there...
all because of an arcane and somewhat under-documented packaging system
that's only really grokable if you have a good experience of Linux and
Gnome beforehand.

I'm willing to persevere, but I guess most normal people trying to port
their useful or fun little python app to their tablet would have given
up by now.

>> Also, I've noticed that when pressing the Home button, in the task
>> list the app has the correct icon by is listed as "unknown",
>> although the code does call pygame.display.set_caption(). Is there
>> a hack for this too ?
>
> No, this is a known bug. Somewhere between SDL and Hildon, this information
> gets lost. Identical on all pygame apps.
> (NOT in Pymaemo, see my bug report in
> https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1597&group_id=40&atid=229)

Thanks for that -- at least I can stop worrying about that particular
bit ! :-)