Hi,

As your option two describes: Previous versions of Hildon contained a
patch for GtkCalendar that made it fit better to the environment. Now
this custom implementation is known as HildonCalendar. Other
(non-hildon) environments can continue to use GtkCalendar as earlier.

Too bad that this customization was not possible to implement trough
inheritance, but there are no virtual methods in GtkCalendar class :(

I didn't find either the documentation about HildonCalendar, but the
headers show that the API is similar to GtkCalendar, just replace
gtk_calendar_* with hildon_calendar_*. See:

https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/projects/haf/trunk/hildon-1/src/hildon-calendar.h

Cheers,

-Markku-