On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 16:02 +0100, pancake wrote:

> > > Do you really think a calendar widget fits with GTK?
> > >
> > > IMHO it's a far complex widget and have to live out of the core lib.
> >
> > Perhaps; but if Gtk has a calendar widget, an application shouldn't
> > have to condition calls to it to get a HildonCalendar widget on
> > certain platforms SOLELY to get a different implementation. If the
> > internals are different but the API remains the same it should be
> > transparent to the developer.
> >
> > I can understand Nokia not wanting to maintain a fork of Gtk, but
> > these things should be implemented in a way which allows them to be
> > pushed upstream wherever possible. Every little bit of work that the
> > maemo team save here is magnified into lots more work for third party
> > developers.
>
> That is. a separated library.

GTK already contains a simple calendar widget and I think it should do -
a calendar is something a lot of applications would want to display.
Andrew is correct imo, if HildonCalendar has the same API as
GtkCalendar, it shouldn't be separated out; this just makes applications
that use GtkCalendar more tedious to port to maemo. The bugs that cause
GtkCalendar to require modification for hildon should be fixed and
patches submitted for upstream.

If you're looking for something more complex though, I will plug
libjana: http://svn.o-hand.com/repos/jana/trunk/ , which along with a
lot of other time-based PIM bits, contains a variety of detailed
calendar widgets.

--Chris