Hi,

>> So in other words, despite Maemo being open source and free enough to be
>> portable to other hardware, there is no other, non-Nokia device you can
>> develop Maemo applications for, right? I wonder why this is so, since I
>> like Maemo a lot (from a user's perspective).
>
> Because there is no way to download "maemo" easily and build your own
> images for a different machine.

If I am not mistaken, this is not exactly true.

Maemo (as such) is free enough, some of the apps and drivers that Nokia
ships with its tablets are not. A competitor interested in building a
Maemo device should be able to adapt Maemo to its hardware and build
replacements for the non-free apps.

I wonder why this hasn't happened, yet.

Regards,

Hanno