Thanks for your information Luca !

what do you mean with "t's not possible to transfer any data" ?
you mean VNC gets stuck or the whole network layer of the n800 ?
So basically once it gets stuck you cannot even open the brower and access a
webpage ?
Please elaborate.
And with  "reconnect the the access point" you mean click on the wlan icon,
disconnect
and reconnect ?
Can wlan disconnect, reconnect sequence be automated in some way ?
for example can I do the following:
run watchdog, detect whether vnc is still transfering data
if not then kill vncviewer and do
----
ifdown wlan0
ifup wlan0
---

Any suggestions ?

I find this wlan freeze problem a grave bug is this a defect in the N800 or
a software bug ?

thanks everyone for your suggestions,
regards,
Benno