Hi,

I am sorry for not replying the letter soon. Thanks for all the advice and
suggestions you have given me. They are very helpful. Eventually I have
learned how to changed the appearance of a widget in an application using
gtkrc file and some nice pictures. In my code, I just called
gtk_rc_add_default_file() the parse the rc file. I usually call the function
before any widget should be created or shown, say the very beginning of my
code. But sometimes the rc file would not be loaded without any exception
feedback to console. I have no idea on how to handle the situation. Does any
one have the same problem?

I think the following links are useful for a GTK+ newbiee if you mean to
change the appearance of the widget.

some basic concept goes here:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeArt/Tutorials/GtkThemes
http://orford.org/gtk/

a piece of README on "sapwood", a theme engine that maemo uses:
https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/projects/haf/trunk/sapwood/README

detailed in theme engine:
http://www.gtk.org/~otaylor/gtk/2.0/theme-engines.html

API related to GTK+ theme and resources