Darius Jack wrote:
> Noop.
> Completely wrong.
> Just read more about Google Summer of Code from
> http://code.google.com/soc/2008/
> "
> All participating mentoring organizations for 2008 have provided
> additional information for their would-be students, including a list
> of sample project ideas.
> "
> Being listed as a mentoring organization has nothing to do with past
> interest of students in activities of a mentoring organization in-spe,
> as you firstly get listed as a mentoring organization and than
> attract potential students.
> $4,500 stipend offered by Google is great chance for any student and
> much more than N810 apiece.
>
> What Google said:
> "
> If you find you have a great idea to improve one of the projects you
> see listed, why not start working on it now?
> "
> You are right, Google Summer of Code attracts more mentors than students
> "
> /Google Summer of Code/ 2008 is on! Over the past three years, the
> program has brought together over 1500 students and 2000 mentors from
> 90 countries worldwide, all for the love of code. We look forward to
> welcoming more new contributors and projects this year.
> "
> But there is a chance to chan ge things for the better and discuss
> that issue with Google.
> On the other hand Google with Google Maps application is first-class
> and first hand competitor to Nokia Tablet as a navigation device.
>
> Anyway, attracting students to Maemo is attracting new customers to
> buy more N810s, so, in our hard times on Wall Street, Nokia not Maemo,
> should be interested in promotion of its great Nokia Tablet in any
> form of promotion, provided for free.
>
> Lost chance is lost chance
> and any stipend granted by Google to a prospective student is lost
> forever.
>
> Darius
I wouldn't go quite that far - there are a lot of downstream projects,
and a mighty good idea for some of them would be to produce or improve a
Maemo port.  As a platform, Maemo has a lot to gain indirectly from
improvements to other projects.  (Don't forget the upstream projects,
too!)  Sure, it might require a bit more initiative for the students to
find or think of the projects, but GSoC is about finding students with
the initiative to get involved and hopefully stay involved - exactly
what we're looking for.

--
Ryan Pavlik
www.cleardefinition.com