Darius Jack wrote:
> Sorry, but Noop ;)
> Completely wrong as before.
> Students can join opened projects only.
> If you don't have opened project, how could you expect to have
> students to join your project.
> It works exactly as Google pointed out.
> First project idea than students.
> Initiative is up to project managers, mentoring organizations tgo open
> projects not students.
> Please read Google Summer of Code FAQ and Terms.
>
> (you said: Sure, it might require a bit more initiative for the
> students to
> find or think of the projects, but GSoC is about finding students with
> the initiative to get involved and hopefully stay involved - exactly
> what we're looking for.)
> Really ?
Yes, really.  Project ideas are offered by the participating mentor
organizations, but students are free to propose their own ideas.  I did
so, I would imagine that I know.

> I fully understand what you mean.
> Too much money goes to students on stipends and pocket money to
> mentoring organization only ($4,500 vs. $500) and all code goes to Google.
The purpose is to permit interested students to spend the summer working
on OSS rather than flipping burgers to pay for schooling, not to
directly finance open source organizations, hence the monetary
distribution.  Google does not receive copyright on the work (this is in
the FAQ you suggested I read) - students retain the copyright and/or do
what the project expects.
> Ok, but you still get free workers or workers for free to work with
> you, under your supervision.
> Really fantastic idea in our hard times on Wall Street to win free
> promotion by Google.
>
> In my life span I was involved, joined, supervised more than 100
> projects, from very small one-man to projects in global education,
> distance learning, incorporation of virtual corporation, remote
> managment of VC, rm of VC staff,
>
> And project management model provided by Google is not bad.
> You have a listing of open projects/ideas and have millions of
> students to join or not to join, making their.own free decision.

The project lists are only ideas - the only thing that is fixed by
google is the mentoring organizations and later, the number of spots
each org gets.
> 20 years ago Usenet / Bietnet was the only place for startups of new
> projects.
> Nowadays public/private forums, as a meeting place, provide such
> opportunity.
>
> But there is good project without money and more money provided better
> project completed.
> Students in general have no money but have good brains and some free time.
>
> Unfortunately, there is a conflicting idea, especially in EU, to have
> students to join projects, co-financed by the Commission of the EU and
> let them still call such projects non-business open-source ones.
>
> So there is a large number of hot projects, co-financed and sponsored
> by EU, business, corporations and that part of a project of special
> importance, involving
> a lot of work hours, efforts and money in initial stages of design,
> think-tank,
> goes listed as open source project to attract free workers, working
> for free.
>
> Today, such strategy of hidden financing of business projects by free
> workers is called Groups.
> Groups are created on the Internet and run some projects as open source.
> If project is successful, it goes to business and generates profits.
> If unsaccessfull evolves in another project code name.
>
> Sometimes developed in parallel to a business project, gives business
> oriented ppl insight into hot issues for free and none Non-Disclosure
> Clause is in force.
I am not sure what you are trying to say here (or in the rest of the
message, actually), but what I've stated is true, based on experience
and available data, and will be my last words on this topic.  If you are
not motivated to mentor/participate as a student in GSoC on a
maemo-related project through a different mentoring organization, please
refrain from discouraging others from doing so.

Students, I'm not sure if this would be a big enough project, but
AbiWord's Maemo port could use some TLC, and we've been a mentoring
organization twice before and are again this year.  Please don't let
this thread discourage you from developing ideas, connections with the
community, and an application for a project of your choosing.

Ryan

--
Ryan Pavlik
www.cleardefinition.com