Hi!

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Simon Pickering
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
>> Let's use this list as a template, then. Can people identify very
>> specific things (and please, assume I don't know what the
>> acronyms mean,
>> and don't know the history behind the issues ;) and I'll get
>> started on
>> a wiki page?
>
> Okay, I'll get started then:

Here is my list (which only outlines subjects not touched below):

1. Binary only wifi modules

Is there any work being done to make this open completely (definitively)?
Or is it possible for Nokia to supply it in object form or at least
updated as the kernel API changes over time?

2. Is it possible to at least get some basic documentation of what bme
and dsme are doing (beyond obvious basics)?

That way if the code from Nokia cannot be opened we have a starting
point for an alternative implementation.

3. (my own personal interest) is it possible to document the serial
pins for the n8x0 devices? Thats if they differ from the 770 which is
documented (kind of, its hidden on a wiki page somewhere).

Thats my questions...

Im looking forward to the irc meeting and also talking to Nokia/maemo
people at linuxtag.

By the way, thank you Nokians for being as open as you have and
creating a great device. I really see that there is room for
compromise from both sides in the recent discussions.

Cheers

> 1. DSP SBC task - In the roadmap there used to be (what I interpreted as)
> mention of implementing a DSP task to handle encoding audio for A2DP use
> (where A2DP stands for Advanced Audio Distribution Protocol and is a
> Bluetooth protocol for sending data to Bluetooth stereo headsets [1]). SBC
> stands for subband codec, which is the default encoding method required by
> A2DP hardware. At the moment this encoding must be carried out by the ARM in
> software, but if the task could be offloaded to the DSP it would free up the
> ARM to do other things (such as decoding video better).
>
> This is really just a yes/no, are Nokia doing anything as if they are, I
> won't bother.
>

> 2. PowerVR MBX driver [2] and OpenGL implementation. We have PowerVR MBX
> chips sat in our N8x0 machines, doing, afaict, not a lot. It would be nice
> if it worked (think OpenGL loveliness in games, and I would hope some
> frivolous but eye catching snazzy desktop features - prettier UI = more
> publicity = more sales; perhaps...). There are Linux 2.6.x kernel drivers
> available, though not for the right kernel version and for the OMAP2430
> rather than OMAP2420.
>
> It would be nice to know if Nokia are pursuing this, and if not, what the
> limitation is - if it's hardware could we know, as otherwise we might try
> fiddling with the existing driver and see if we get anywhere (though that
> will be a long road).
>

> 3. IVA - this is part of the OMAP2420 and stands for Imaging and Video
> Accelerator chip. Its abilities are described at the end of this document
> [3], in the specifications. It looks like it could do some useful
> acceleration. There is however no real information available (from Ti or
> elsewhere) about what it is, and how to program it, though there are some
> hints, e.g. [4]. The DSP gateway (which is the bridge software between the
> ARM and the DSP) has been expanded to allow it to interface with the IVA,
> but the patches say that there's no driver for the IVA itself [5].
>
> Is this being pursued (as there's little we can do about it as we have no
> information) and if not, why not?
>

> 4. AGPS - Assisted GPS [6]. We have an AGPS chip in the N8x0, it doesn't use
> the assistance feature. Is this being worked on? This is something we as the
> community could do some work on, if we had some sort of API to allow us to
> inject the updated almanac/ephemeris data (leave how to work these out as
> part of the challenge ;)). Obviously if Nokia come out with an all
> encompassing system (e.g. giving us a way of talking to supl.nokia.com to
> provide us with the almanac/ephemeris data that I presume it provides for
> mobile phones), then that would be good (though probably less fun for
> hacking purposes ;))
>

> And last but not least, all my questions should be read with "pretty please"
> added to them rather than as demands, and thanks (to Dave and Nokia) for
> [...]

Nick Loeve