On Wednesday 28 May 2008 08:32:22 Eero Tamminen wrote:
> A draft version of the "maemo packaging policy" is available
> for commenting:
>      https://maemo.org/forrest-images/pdf/maemo-policy.pdf

Let me start by saying thanks for a useful and well-written document.

I am not quite sure about the name: personally I am not convinced that we need
a strict "policy" for Maemo packages.  I completely agree we need guidelines
but Maemo is a small (really, tiny) distribution, both in terms of users and,
more importantly for this discussion, developers.  Our most critical problem
at the moment is the lack of ported software, not the quality of the packages
which have been ported.  If anything, the number of active developers in the
Maemo community seems to be declining (for example, I was amazed by the
almost zero response to the autobuilder announcement).

I would be very firmly against any attempt to "enforce" a policy (for example,
by preventing packages appearing in Extras if they violate the policy).  But,
I realise that that is a separate discussion.  My comments below do assume
that this is an advisory policy (or "guidelines" as I would prefer to call
it).

2.2: The list of user sections should not be in this document.  It should be
on a Wiki page which can be maintained separately from the document.

3.2: This section needs to be clearer about the circumstances which cause
the "maemo" version string to be required.  If a Debian package is taken and
the only changes are to the debian/control file (e.g. Section: changed to
conform to 2.2, dependencies changed to reflect maemo environment
differences, maintainer changed, etc.) then I would have thought it should
retain the debian version number.  On the other hand, if a source or build
change occurs (for example, a feature which is enabled in the Debian version
is disabled in the maemo version because it makes no sense in that
environment, or is dependent on something which has not been ported) then the
maemo revision should be used. Other changes may be less clear (for example,
if the documentation has been removed as per 3.9.4).

3.9: I don't really see the point in saying packaging changes SHOULD be
propagated back to upstream.  No Debian maintainer is going to change any of
their packaging for the benefit of Maemo!  Are you really suggesting people
should report bugs on a maemo package because the upstream maintainer chooses
to package it differently?!

3.9.4.  Remove the line about generating API documentation from sources.
While I agree that is good software engineering practice, it is not a
packaging issue and doesn't belong in this document.

3.9.5.  I agree with this section as currently written.  It must not become
MUST as it is really only critical for general purpose libraries and general
purpose plugin based applications.  Some applications may use libraries and
plugins which are only for the convenience of the application developers and
are not, realistically, ever going to be used by anyone else -- in those
cases SHOULD would be correct.

10.4: I would change the backup SHOULD to a MUST.

11.1: You might want to add a TODO to consider adding additional future
requirements on security for daemons which provide network accessible
services.  As this device is designed for almost continuous network
connectivity, often in insecure environments, with no firewall on the device
or between it and the Internet network security requirements may be stronger
than for a normal Debian system.

Graham