This is tangential to what you are asking about, but I think you
could run into a problem with your power injector. It's been a
few years since I read the USB specs, but as I recall the host
knows, and makes decisions based on, what power is available.
Also it switches that power on and off depending on what state
the "bus" is in.  There could be problems if the actual power
doesn't match what the host thinks it is.
--
Allen Brown
http://brown.armoredpenguin.com/~abrown