I think you didn't understand what I was saying. I'm not saying
the device will draw more power than your injector can handle.
I am saying that turning the power on and off is a part of the
protocol. And messing with this can break things.

Also the host (i.e. Nokia) may not allow a device to come on
if it reports needing more than the host *thinks* it is capable
of.  Not sure about this.  When I was reading the USB spec I
was focussed on the electronics, not the software.

If you can your hands on a copy of the USB spec, do so.  Unfortunately
that may be difficult.  They want you to pay money to play in that
game.
--
Allen Brown
http://brown.armoredpenguin.com/~abrown