TZ - thanks.

I tried running /usr/libexec/navicore-gpsd-helper from the command line and
all it did was:
   "sh: turning off NDELAY mode"

and then exited.

If I send P 3 to the socket (which socket? cmd line way to send to it?),
how long will the daemon stay up?

What I'd really like to do is write a dead simple program (language TBD)
that keeps the daemon up and then reads the NMEA and processes it. It would
be neat if all the control stuff didn't require the libraries so that the
GPS just looked like a std linux input to a shell script, python, C or
whatever.

Thanks

Joh