On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 02:10:26AM +0400, Andrew Zabolotny wrote:
> I'm trying to understand the machinery that automatically removes the
> documentation file when installing them on tablet.

apt-cache show docpurge
cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99-docpurge
cat /usr/sbin/docpurge

> So far my packages
> install a few files in /usr/share/doc/${pkg}/ and for some reason they
> are not autoremoved.

Did you use apt to install them, or did you use dpkg directly?

> Some more complex packages also have documentation inside the .deb
> file, but at some point it is removed, although I don't get at which
> (install-docs in postinst it seems?)

Later.  After apt-get finishes its work, it calls docpurge.  If you
don't use apt-get, docpurge is never called, hence my question about
calling dpkg directly.

> Can somebody explain how this works and what I should put in the .rules
> to generate the correct postinst hooks.

You don't need to do anything.

> Sure, I can just remove dh_installchangelogs & dh_installdocs and there
> simply won't be any docs in the .deb. However, it's a matter of
> principle :-)

If you're building a package specifically for Maemo, then by all means
remove the docs from the deb!  You'll reduce the download size, and
save some flash memory from wearing out sooner.

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--
The last good thing written in C was Franz Schubert's Symphony #9.
        -- Erwin Dietrich