On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Denis Dimick <dgdim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking that aptitude is more like having to drive the Porsche onto a
> flatbed truck, drive the truck where you need to go, and unload the Porsche.
> apt-get, apt-cache and dpkg will so things much faster the loadin Aptitude
> and hunting for the app you want to install, de-install.

Aptitude has a command-line mode that is almost identical to apt-get
and apt-cache, and the interactive mode has a search feature.  But
yes, dpkg is great until you have a lot of dependencies, and apt-get
is great until you have conflicts or would prefer a different
dependency resolution than the one apt-get decides is best.  Going
down the food chain even farther, tar xvfz is great until you have
dependencies, and compiling everything from source is great until you
actually need to do something with your computer.  :)

Rockwalrus