Ryan Abel wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2009, at 9:30 PM, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>
>> Judging from the clearance pricing of the N810 at buy.com ($219.99), I
>> surmise that Nokia has now discontinued it as well as the N800 and
>> the N810
>> Wimax Edition.  So, let's see.  That leaves... nothing.  Nothing but
>> fond
>> memories of 2 years spent developing for a platform that no longer
>> exists.
>
> Well, I suppose ignorance can be forgiven since an announcement hasn't
> actually been made yet, but I'd recommend reading up a bit before you
> jump to the melodrama.[1][2][3][4]

The rumors are fascinating.  In the meantime, I am nearly ready to start
shipping my software but my potential customers have nothing on which to
run it, unless they happen to own an N8x0 already.  Nokia opened their
platform to encourage developers to contribute their expertise, but their
capriciousness and opacity about their hardware roadmap are tolerable only
to hobbyists or companies porting software from another platform as a
sideline.  If I postpone delivery until after the rumored next-generation
platform appears, what assurance do I have that Nokia will not balk again?
What assurance do I have that Nokia will not price me out of the market
with an upgrade burdened with features I don't need?  If you see only
melodrama in these concerns, then perhaps you have never tried to run a
business in the face of such uncertainty.
--
Jeffrey Barish