Hi,
some month ago i tried to port http://zebra.sourceforge.net/
to the maemo platform.
The Zebra Barcode Reader can decode barcodes from a live video stream
(v4l) an static images (jpeg, bmp, etc.).
If im informed correctly, the n810's webcam has also a v4l interface
that could be used for the barcode decoding.
It should be quite easy to port it. Its coded in C and its sourcecode is
available.

steffen