I have got a likely problem of my eyes getting in the way of seeing. I've got
a /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.wackytabletproductions.pyqtoreader.service
that says :

[D-BUS Service]
Name=com.wackytabletproductions.pyqtoreader
Exec=/usr/bin/pyqtoreader

and a /usr/share/applications/hildon/pyqtoreader.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Version=0.45
Name=PyQt-o-Reader
Exec=/usr/bin/pyqtoreader
Terminal=false
Categories=Graphics
Comment=Visual content viewer for oversize jpegs, text, cbr/cbz files and
webcomics
Icon=pyqtoreader
StartupWMClass=pyqtoreader
X-Osso-Service=com.wackytabletproductions.pyqtoreader
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
StartupNotify=true
X-HildonDesk-ShowInToolbar=true

I choose my menu with

maemo-select-menu-location pyqtoreader.desktop

However, the app does not manage to start from the menu and I see no activity
on dbus-monitor (it IS present in the task launcher, though). According to
http://maemo.org/maemo_release_documentation/maemo4.1.x/node7.html#sec:maemo_new_app_adding_to_menu

this should be enough...  What am I not seeing here ?