Well, again, I have to answer myself. It seems that W3C widgets will
work in Maemo 5, or at least is "under development":
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/0086.html

[...]An application author wrote an application for Maemo 4, and we
tested it in Maemo 5[...]

Since W3C Mobile Web Initiative (where I am involved) is near to its
end, I hope I could join W3C WebApps...