On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 14:07 +0200, ext David Greaves wrote:
> Hmm, seems like another solution would be to have the opt partition mounted as
> /usr and install all the 'standard' stuff into /root_usr/ and preinstall
> symlinks into /usr -> /root_usr

This was, of course, considered as well, but the problem is that
concurrent I/O to/from the eMMC can (for reasons kernel guys know) cause
high load in the system. Hence eMMC is avoided for system libraries and
stuff, because it would cause a performance problem when these libraries
are used and e.g. swap is active.  There are other technical problems
with eMMC as well but it should work for this application use case
pretty well.

-Kimmo