On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 10:06 +0200, ext Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
> :2009-09-10T08:55:Andrew Flegg:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 08:41, Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik
> > <rus...@codemages.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Frankly if this would become a standard I think there'll be atleast some
> > > people that will setup their own autobuilder to install to regular /usr
> > > or /usr/local.
> >
> > Why do you care, as a user, where the package contents get installed?
> > I really struggle to think of any really compelling reason.
>
> Because I expect certain things to be where I expect them. Just like on
> a BSD system I expect anything I install to be in /usr/local so I would
> expect on any GNU+Linux system to have them in /usr

But you are not a normal user here :-)

You know that stuff ends in /usr/local on BSD and in /usr on GNU/Linux
and you can know that they end up in /opt in Maemo5

It's almost impossible to support everyone. Point is to support the
important/common uses but not make the life of the minor uses miserable.

If you already know that we have /usr or that there's something callled
autobuilder and know you can set it up then you are not a normal user.

And I'm not wearing my Nokia hat here. I'm wearing my FOSS hat :)

Cheers,

--
Maemo Software
Nokia Devices