Hi Peter,

the SDK you are using is still in beta state. But anyway you can run
your applications in the X86 target and the Fremantle UI within the SDK.
Instructions how to start it, you will find in the installation
instructions [1], even though unfortunately the address book is not part
of it. But it will be there in the final version. So please have a
little bit of patience.

For the address book API, you could check out this page out of the
documentation [2].

In general you can add applications in the SDK by using aptitude. For
example if you add this line to your sources list (/etc/apt/sources.list):

deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel fremantle free non-free

and run

apt-get update

and finally:

apt-get install "application-name"

you can install and test some applications in the SDK, but in some cases
with limited functionality. Your own app you can test and run as well
with the command

run-standalone.sh "excecutable file"

[1]
http://maemo.org/development/sdks/maemo_5_beta_2_sdk_installation/#StartUI