On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:54:41 +0000
gary liquid <liq...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i do it via ssh console as part of my n900 reinstallation notes
> i'm not sure why you would use the app manager since git is a console
> app ;)

can you share those notes?
I'm wondering what the perfect, complete, (online) backup and
restore strategy is

I guess:
* backup: copy just $HOME and /etc online (you can't read the entire
  blockdevice in a clean way without shutting device down, right?)
  keep a list of installed packages and/or manual tweaks outside of
  $HOME and /etc
* restore: write base image - currently not at
  http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/ btw? - back, after which you can sync
  the $HOME and /etc back. and reinstall packages, reapply manual tweaks

Dieter