Hi Ryan,

What hardware keyboard layout are you using at the moment? You can check
this by going to the Settings->Text Input.

You should be able to input extra characters by pressing Fn and then the
Sym/Ctrl key. A dialog with extra characters pops up and all you need to
do is tap on the desired one.

Could this end your saga? :)

--
Joaquim Rocha