ext Andrew Flegg <and...@bleb.org> writes:

> I suggest the header is XS-Maemo-Optify, and has the following values:
>
>   none:   no optification should be done, or considered, by the autobuilder.
>   manual: the application author will do optification manually. If the
>           package contains no entries under /opt it would be considered a
>           build failure.
>   auto:   maemo-optify would be run if certain heuristics were met (e.g.
>           no entries in /opt, no Python dependency)
>   force:  maemo-optify would always be run

Thanks for the initiative, Andrew!

I have put maemo-optify 0.2 into extras-devel with the following
changes, motivated by your proposal:

  * Added --auto option to maemo-optify-deb which will read debian/optify
    and debian/files and does the right thing.

  * Added maemo-optify-buildpackage, which invokes maemo-optify-deb in
    auto mode.

More details in the README here:

    http://maemo.gitorious.org/maemo-af/maemo-optify/blobs/master/README

Thus, only "none" and "auto" are really implemented right now, and the
mode is read from debian/optify instead of from debian/control.

(Proper man pages are still missing.)

Thus, the next step is to make sure that maemo-optify is installed in
the build environment and to use maemo-optify-buildpackage instead of
dpkg-buildpackage.  (Or make the equivalent changes to dpkg-buildpackage
itself, which are quite small.)