Now that the N900 has been released, I will post this question on
maemo-developers, in the hopes that some Nokia devs can help me here.

I would like to know how to remap the keyboard on the N900. I've received
some help from Marius Gedminas, as you will see below, but I'd like to know
how to map the keyboard permanently, without having to run xkbcomp every
time.

Here is the help that I've received so far:

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 4:23 AM, Marius Gedminas <mar...@pov.lt> wrote:

> I've had partial success by doing this:
>
>  $ xkbcomp :0 default.xkb
>  $ vi default.xkb
>
> comment out the two rules that cause syntax errors:
>
> //  interpret AccessX_Enable+AnyOfOrNone(all) {
> //      action= LockControls(controls=);
> //  };
>
> //  interpret MouseKeys_Accel_Enable+AnyOfOrNone(all) {
> //      action= LockControls(controls=);
> //  };
>
> Now you can restore the settings back by running
>
>  $ xkbcmp default.xkb :0
>
> if you screw up and end up with a nonfunctional keyboard.
>
> Next
>
>  $ cp default.xkb mg.xkb
>  $ vi mg.xkb
>
>    key <RGHT> {
>        type= "FOUR_LEVEL",
>        symbols[Group1]= [       Right,       Right,       Tab,       Tab ]
>    };
>
>  $ xkbcomp mg.xkb :0
>
> and now Fn+Right arrow is a Tab key.
>
> Sadly I don't know enough about xkbcomp to see if it's possible to make
> it load incomplete maps on top of the current configuration, just to
> update a few symbols without replicating the full configuration.
>
> > None of the changes I make to /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51
> > have any effect (yes I reboot after changing the file).
>
> Maybe the files in /var/cache/xkb contain precompiled versions of those?
>
> I'm not adventurous enough to go and start editing files in /usr/.
> Although creating a new symbols file in there and loading it on top of
> the defaults with setxkbmap ought to maybe work...
>
> Marius Gedminas

(I have already replied with the following:

Replace
       type= "FOUR_LEVEL",
       symbols[Group1]= [       Right,       Right,       Tab,       Tab ]
with
       type= "PC_FN_LEVEL2",
       symbols[Group1]= [       Right,       Tab ]

and you will retain the ability to highlight text with shift-right arrow.)

--
enthusiast, n. "One whose mind is wholly possessed and heated by what
engages it; one who is influenced by a peculiar fervor of mind; an ardent