How about another XAtom (since we already have so many on Maemo ;) )
on the application window, saying "I rotate well and quickly." ?

The ohmd could take care of this atom and refrain from freezing the
app during rotation, iff it is the currently visible one.

Of course applications could lie about their rotation capabilities,
but that's what we have the extras-testing Q&A for.

Martin