I see many use cases for those policies like an incoming phone call
should work properly even while some app is doing heavy number
crunching.

However rotation is a different thing. I mean what's the objective? The
rotation animation should be smooth even if something uses a lot of
processing time? Fair enough. But pausing the _foreground_ application
is hardly the solution. How about pausing all _background_ applications?

The foreground application is the only application interested in the
rotation. Therefore it already specifies explicitly that it can rotate.
If I now write an application it's my duty to give the CPU some time
while rotating. If I don't do this, _my_ application looks shitty and
everyone will tell me. It's not the platform that gets a bad reputation,
it's my app.

So, if anything should get paused, it's all applications which are not
white listed and which are not in the foreground.

If I somehow missed the point, please tell me :)

Cheers!
Conny