Am Mittwoch, den 06.01.2010, 11:11 -0700 schrieb Frédéric Ledain:
> Hi.
>
> I would like to add/modify/delete contacts via API, using C++ bindings under
> Freemantle.
>
> I am confused with the two components: libebook & libosso-abook: which one is
> recommended to use?

For most trivial tasks libebook is sufficient. If you want to reuse
widgets, or if you want to have Telepathy integration, then you want
to use libosso-abook.

> I have read that liboss-abook is using libebook, and proposes higher
> level of API, but seems not to be able to compile with g++
> (osso-abook-caps.h:104: error: invalid conversion from 'int' to
> 'OssoABookCapsFlags').

Yes, sorry about that. Should be fixed with next update. The package now
has an unit test for checking C++ compliance. That much about C++ being
a superset of C. I'd wish declaring something as “extern "C" { ... }”
would activate some C compliance mode in C++ compilers. :-(

Can we return the C++ product for not being as advertised? :-D

Well, let's get serious again. I'd assume you can temporarily get around
that limitation by deactivating compiler warnings. Maybe -Wno-conversion
works.

> I understand that Qt 4.6 is currently a "technical preview" for Maemo
> 5, and my compilation issue may be caused by that, but then, what
> should I use?

It's libosso-abook which is to blame, not Qt.

Well, but anyway: Use whatever fits your needs: I am the GTK+ guy and
for private projects I'd always evaluate GTK+ or clutter first before
considering Qt - even on Maemo 6! On the other hand Qt 4.6 for Maemo 5
is shaping really nicely: Harry is and his mates are doing an awesome
job. So really just use what's fitting your needs. Being able to chose
is one of Maemo's key features.

Ciao,
Mathias
--