"ext Ville M. Vainio" <vivai...@gmail.com> writes:

> I find it hard to see anything "wrong" with PPA's as such,

I am one of the guys pushing for a central repository, but I can't see
anything wrong with PPA's either, as long as the following is part of
the "code of honor" of people maintaining such PPAs:

 - A PPA is not used to distribute the 'final' version of a package to
   all users of a Maemo device.  E.g., the main download portal of
   maemo.org should not advertise packages in PPAs.

 - All PPAs are known to the maemo.org community, and their maintainers
   allow NMUs to them, subject to the same rules as NMUs in
   extras-devel.

 - Any combination of PPAs must yield a consistent distribution.  More
   concretely:

   - Packages in one PPA should not depend on packages in
     another PPA

   - and they should explicitly declare all conflicts they
     have with packages in all other PPAs.

   PPAs _can_ contain overlapping packages (e.g., one PPA has a higher
   version of a package than another PPA, or in extras-devel), but not
   by accident.